Surviving the Days ... and the Weeks and the Torment.


Words I write don't necessarily make sense to you... I don't expect them to, maybe I don't even want them to... The thoughts are written fragmented and incomplete! I do not write for any form of external validation.. What you read may not have the same meaning as what I write... But do not underestimate the personal significance of my words! An essential part of who I am is only evident in my writing... It had been locked away after it was used against me... Everything you need, in order to hurt me, is right here!

Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Do you see what I see?

This evening I’ve felt like a child running through an amusement park on a sugar rush!

A wide-eyed, open-mouthed look of wonder has crossed my face with each new and exciting sight!

Apologies in advance if this becomes a very long winded babble of very little interest to anyone but me!

But perhaps I should start this with back when I was a child, of around age 5 or 6

Each child was given a basic eye test at school, and mine picked up a possible problem,

My parents were told I had a lazy eye and may have trouble reading from a distance

Nothing major, they were aware and as it didn’t appear to present a problem it was soon forgotten

A little older I noticed a minor problem, while playing number plate games on a long trip in the car

Unless the driver was tailgating the car in front (not often the case) I was unable to make out the letters

Loss of a few travel games was not the end of my world, so an optometrist visit wasn’t on my agenda

And so it went on, as an adult I was more aware of a problem but never enough to do anything

Which brings us to a couple of weeks ago, I finally did take the step into an optometrist

I had my eyes tested for the second time ever, this time I didn’t have to hold a wooden spoon over one eye!

Yes I needed glasses! No surprise at all for me, at least until I saw the price tag of my first $300 pair

So today, I got my new glasses and wore them for the first time!

The new and exciting things I saw included; signs above aisles in the supermarket, from outside the checkouts

The menu board and the prices of the take away place where mum got her dinner

The subtitles and advertisements across the bottom of the television screen while I watched a show,

Now at least I know who’s paying for those scrolling messages, which have annoyed me so often!

Oh it is great to be able to see, for 20 years I never knew I was missing so much!

No comments: