Surviving the Days ... and the Weeks and the Torment.


Words I write don't necessarily make sense to you... I don't expect them to, maybe I don't even want them to... The thoughts are written fragmented and incomplete! I do not write for any form of external validation.. What you read may not have the same meaning as what I write... But do not underestimate the personal significance of my words! An essential part of who I am is only evident in my writing... It had been locked away after it was used against me... Everything you need, in order to hurt me, is right here!

Monday, February 06, 2006

Ranting Incoherently

We've all seen and heard the stories in the news. Well the offending cartoons have been published by an Aussie now, not in a paper as yet but on a blog .. here. I'm not going to mention his name as I don't think he needs the added publicicty. Yes, I realise that my nothing of a blog is hardly publicity but that's not the point. I also realise that I've provided a link to the blog which kinda negates the anti-publicity but that too has a purpose and it is not to become a part of his cheer squad.

Now I'm all for freedom of speech and such. I don't think the News media should be dissuaded from publishing these cartoons or any others. It is a matter of what is considered "news" and what best depicts that "news". I certainly do not condone the behaviour of those against the publishing of the cartoons around the world, with the violence and rioting.

Having said all that and having read the blog entry which has the cartoons in it, as well as most of the comments that it has attracted and then other recent entries on the site. I find myself asking.. what was the reason behind posting the cartoons? It seems to me that the purpose was twofold. Firstly, attention, simple really. Secondly, I think they were posted to incite anger and rage. I don't think freedom of speech has anything to do with it. In reading the comments I was amazed (although not totally surprised) by the level of racism that came across. The stereotyping and generalisation of an entire religion and the pure hate behind the words is hard not to notice.

It is sad that there is so much "us and them" mentality from both sides. It is sad that the so called "race riots" of late last year seem to be just the tip of the iceberg in this country. It is sad that this country is basically no different to all the other western "civilised" countries when it comes to attitude towards people of a different faith and especially Muslim people.

I begin at home with teaching my son tolerance and acceptance for all people. It is not race or religion that stands a person apart. It is the ugly side of people, the hate, anger and bigotry which should not become acceptable. Sadly it appears we are going backwards in that respect.

No comments: