Surviving the Days ... and the Weeks and the Torment.


Words I write don't necessarily make sense to you... I don't expect them to, maybe I don't even want them to... The thoughts are written fragmented and incomplete! I do not write for any form of external validation.. What you read may not have the same meaning as what I write... But do not underestimate the personal significance of my words! An essential part of who I am is only evident in my writing... It had been locked away after it was used against me... Everything you need, in order to hurt me, is right here!

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Some Things (men) Never Change

Little boy and I stayed at my Dad's place down the coast from Wednesday through to Monday. The occasion was my little sisters 18th birthday. (My other little sister had also just turned 16.) I've been going down there for about 20 years, so I'm not quite a local but I know many locals and have done for a long time.

One such local (I'll call him FF) came up on Friday to drop off a few things for the party. This guy is 50, he'd like to think he was still 30'ish. I've known him for as long as I can remember. He's the type of guy that I would see now and then and each time he'd have a new girl hanging off his arm. He's a musician and admittedly, maybe doesn't look his age, and definitely doesn't act it. You can imagine the girls I'd met over the years.

So anyway, he arrives. I was laying on the lounge trying to keep my eyes open (we'd been out the night before, I was tired) and Little Boy was running around doing what little boys do, playing with cars in the dirt mostly. I didn't get up to be sociable, it wasn't necessary, Dad was making the cuppa. As I dozed on the lounge I heard this conversation in the kitchen:

FF: So Ted's down for the party eh?

Dad: Yeah

FF: is she single?

Dad: ahh yeah, oh well I think she's got a bloke..

Little boy wanders in from outside

FF: And this must be Drew, well, don't you think I'd make a good Dad?

Drew: I've already got a Dad!

Little boy wanders back outside to the sound of my Dad chuckling and me boiling over in the lounge room

I couldn't believe the hide of this man. To speak like that, and to my son no less. I heard them go outside and as I was seething with anger I gave up on the nap. I grabbed a smoke and headed outside, only to find my Dad and FF still standing around chatting. As I walked out...

FF: G'day Ted, so you heard I was single and came down to check me out eh?

Even when I was a child of no more than Little Boy's age, I knew this guy was a creep. Some things really do never change, he still makes me cringe.

No comments: