Surviving the Days ... and the Weeks and the Torment.


Words I write don't necessarily make sense to you... I don't expect them to, maybe I don't even want them to... The thoughts are written fragmented and incomplete! I do not write for any form of external validation.. What you read may not have the same meaning as what I write... But do not underestimate the personal significance of my words! An essential part of who I am is only evident in my writing... It had been locked away after it was used against me... Everything you need, in order to hurt me, is right here!

Friday, June 10, 2005

High on Life

I don't like heights!

I never have liked them and I don't see it ever really changing!

I don't like standing on a chair to change a lightbulb, but I do

I don't like travelling down narrow, winding roads with a drop on one side,

A solid wall of rock on the other, but I do (half my family live on such a road)

I don't like standing on escalators that are tall and steep (eg. Town Hall, Sydneysiders)

I don't like going in cable cars, like at the zoo, although Katoomba is much worse!

I don't like any of these things because I don't like heights, but I do them all!

I would (most likely) never jump out of a plane, bungee jump or climb the Harbour Bridge!

So I'm not exactly sure why I suggested we go up the Pylon yesterday with my girlfriend

I'd never actually walked on or across the bridge before either, I thought I'd be fine!

Usually as long as things are enclosed and I feel safe I don't freak out too much!

We get on the bridge and I'm fine, as hundreds of cars, buses and trains pass us by, until

We really get on the bridge and the solid wall beside us is replaced with steel frame.

My heartrate triples, my body tenses, my legs begin to tremble and my head feels very light!

I have Little boy on one side, girlfriend on the other, both pairs of eyes on me, laughing!

My son finds it quite amusing that Mum is afraid of heights! He's "not scared at all"!

I figure the Pylon will be better, it's only 200 steps within the tall granite walls.

We begin the climb! We reach the first landing area and I wonder what the hell I'm doing!

We reach the top and I'm in a cold sweat, my fists are clenched and my legs are still trembling!

The view is sensational of course and with a few deep breaths I manage to get out the camera.

My hands were still shaking too much, so girlfriend took a few shots before handing it back

But, I did it! I read that the lookout was 89m above sea level, and the bridge had 6million rivets!

It felt like 1000m high and I declined to buy a rivet in the giftshop for $20!

No comments: